CNN
—
Former Peruvian President Pedro Castillo has denied allegations of conspiracy and rebellion after last week’s dramatic deportation and arrest. His court appearance on Tuesday came amid ongoing protests by Castillo supporters, who have killed at least six people.
Castillo was impeached and arrested on December 7 after announcing plans to dissolve Congress and install an emergency government ahead of a looming impeachment vote by lawmakers.
His former vice president, Dina Boluarte, has since become president. On Monday, Bolarte suggested in a televised address that he would move the general election two years ahead of his schedule to April 2024.
Castillo appeared in a virtual court hearing on Tuesday to appeal his seven-day detention order, but the appeal was ultimately dismissed by Judge Cesar San Martín.
At the hearing, Castillo told San Martín, “I have never been guilty of conspiracy or rebellion,” and said his detention was arbitrary and unjust.
Castillo, wearing a blue jacket and sitting next to lawyer Ronald Atensio, said, “I will never step down or abandon this cause.”
“From here on, I urge the military and the National Police to lay down their weapons and stop killing people who are hungry for justice. But…” he said, interrupted by the judge.
Since last week, pro-Castillo demonstrations have erupted in cities across the country, marked by clashes with Peruvian security forces.
Peru’s ombudsman news agency said on Tuesday that at least six people, including two minors, were killed in the demonstrations. At least 47 people have also been hospitalized as a result of protests in the cities of Lima, Apurimac, Huancavelica and Arequipa, Peru’s health ministry tweeted.
According to Radio Programas del Perú, a radio and television broadcaster, demonstrators are calling for general elections, the dissolution of parliament and the creation of a new Constituent Assembly.
On Tuesday, Bolarte called on the country to restore calm and said he had instructed police not to use deadly weapons against protesters.
“Everybody has the right to protest, but we don’t commit vandalism, burn hospitals, ambulances, police stations, attack airports. We have reached an extreme,” added Boruarte.
Due to protests in Peru, trains to and from Machu Picchu will be suspended from Tuesday, rail operator PeruRail said in a statement.
“We apologize for any inconvenience these announcements may cause our customers. However, they are due to circumstances beyond our control and we are trying to prioritize the safety of our passengers and workers,” the statement said. says.

Flights have also been suspended due to protests, and LATAM Airlines Peru has announced the temporary suspension of services between the airports in the cities of Arequipa and Cusco.
Protesters attempted to storm the terminal of Cusco’s Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport on Monday, according to the Peruvian Airport Commercial Airline Company (CORPAC).
There have been no reports of injuries, arrests, or damage to the airport so far, according to CORPAC.

LATAM called on the Peruvian authorities to take “corrective measures to ensure safety” for the operation of the flight.
“We regret that this situation is out of our control and has caused our passengers,” it added.
The Peruvian National Police said at least 11 areas of the country were closed to national roads as of Monday night.
Additionally, the government has declared a state of emergency in seven provinces in the Apurimac region of central and southern Peru.
Peru has been plagued by political instability in recent years, with many Peruvians calling for political change, with 60% of those polled seeking the presidency and parliamentary positions, according to a September poll by the Peruvian Institute. It became clear that they were in favor of early elections to revamp both.
It is unclear whether Mr. Bolarte’s inauguration as president will attract broad political support.
Fernando Tuesta Soldevilla, professor at the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru, said Boruarte “has no recognized political background”. “And without a faction, a political party, a social organization behind her, she is weak from the start.”
“We all know when the Dina Bolarte regime started, but no one knows how long it will last,” he told CNN.
Correction: This article has been updated to reflect a correction by the Peruvian National Ombudsman to the known death toll from recent political protests in Peru.