An Indiana mother of six is warning against the use of tampons after two of her daughters were sent to the hospital with sepsis caused by toxic shock syndrome infections.
“Honestly, I thought we were going to lose them,” said Javon Johnson, 46, of Elkhart. told Kennedy News. “They were both in really bad shape. Their organs were inflamed and at risk of shutting down, so it was a dangerous situation.”
Johnson said her daughter Divine, 21, became ill in May 2022 after using a “super absorbent” tampon. She developed flu-like symptoms when she had just finished her period and was unable to walk without assistance.
Devine spent a week in intensive care. In July of that year, Johnson’s daughter Jaya, 17, experienced similar symptoms during her family’s trip to Florida, so her family visited the hospital again.
“She just used a tampon for the first time in the last two days,” Javon explained. “We were in Florida on her family vacation and she just wanted to use it to go swimming.”
Jabon initially thought Jaya might be suffering from heatstroke due to the redness on her palms, but her condition worsened due to a viral infection, nausea and high fever.
She was taken to the emergency room, where she was only given ibuprofen.
Jaya lost consciousness and an ambulance was called to take her to the hospital.
“I couldn’t believe this was actually happening to us again. What are the odds?” Javon wondered.
Like Divine, Jaya was diagnosed with sepsis caused by toxic shock syndrome.
Toxic shock syndrome is a bacterial disease that is often associated with tampon use and affects 1 in 100,000 people. According to the Cleveland Clinic. May cause severe organ damage or death.
“When we received the same diagnosis, it was a deja vu moment.” [Jaya] It was only 30 days later,” Jabon confessed.
“We just took one child out of the ICU and she’s still recovering. And now the other child was about to start the process again and her condition got even worse,” she added. Ta.
A daycare business owner said doctors said her daughters’ infections were caused by “more powerful chemicals” in super-absorbent tampons.
The tampons allegedly used by the sisters have not been identified.
“The doctors said [Jaya] I used Super Plus Absorbency when I didn’t need it. They contain different types of chemicals that have higher potency,” Jabon said.
She said her daughters used the same box of tampons but wouldn’t sleep with them in.
“I didn’t think people would believe something like that happened to two of my daughters within 30 days of each other in the same year. Those were unrealistic odds,” Javon said.
Javon said her daughters’ recovery was slow, and in the year since then, Johnson’s home has run out of tampons.
“I don’t keep it at home because no one can use it,” she said. “We do not recommend tampons at all at this time. Tampons are not safe and we recommend that you never use them.”
Meanwhile, the Johnson family remains focused on helping their daughters get through this ordeal.
“My husband and I are grateful that we both survived,” she said with a sigh.