The 95th Academy Awards ended with lots of cheers, frowning sneer, less-than-surprising surprises, and a viral moment. While fans were thrilled to see their favorite star win, some were genuinely heartbroken to see others lose. Some even did.
Let’s take a deep dive into what made fans furious and upset, and which moments received special mention.
Also read: Oscars 2023: Jimmy Kimmel Jokes About ‘The Slap’ As Ceremony Host
1. Inishulin’s Banshees, Best Picture, Best Supporting Actress
I can’t stand the Banshees snub at awards.no one knows how to have a good time
— Writer avalakki📜✍🏽📖 (@Woolfingitdown) March 13, 2023
The film received nine nominations, trailing Everything Everywhere All At Once, which received 11 nominations. Despite winning seven, including Best Supporting Actress, the Banshees came home empty-handed.
2. Gina Prince-Bythewood or Sarah Polley, Best Director
This year, the Oscars came under attack again Do not nominate female directorsAccording to People, women have made some great movies this year like ‘The Women King’ and ‘Women Talking’. Critics believed that female directors deserved to raise the bar and be held in as high regard as men in the top director category.
3. Cate Blanchett, Best Actress
Very happy with the movie for Michelle Yeoh, eeaao and everyone involved but remember Cate Blanchett lost best actress as one of the best snubs in Oscar history
— Isaac (@ik2onmovies) March 13, 2023
After Michelle Yeoh won, the internet split and she became the first Asian to win in this category. I was hoping to However, after the ceremony, Twitteratis expressed their disappointment by saying that it was “an actual crime” that she was ridiculed.
4. Austin Butler, Best Actor
Happy for Brendan, but his performance lacked the form and hitter of Austin Butler, as Elvis was the best performance of his life. pic.twitter.com/UM2oYfJwh6
— (-_-) spudussy🕸(-_-) (@HARC387) March 13, 2023
Not only did Elvis lose Best Picture, but the main character lost an important award as well. Many wanted Austin Butler to snatch the golden statuette. BAFTA Awards and golden globeMany thought he was the best choice because he couldn’t shake off Elvis’ voice for years and his portrayal of Elvis was spot on.
5. Angela Bassett, Best Supporting Actress
Angela Bassett 100%
— Hopesloop (@Hopesloop) March 13, 2023
Okay, but this proves that Jamie Lee Curtis is Nepo Baby. There’s no reason Stephanie Zu didn’t win an Oscar other than the judges felt she was too young or her award was too obvious: a blatant snub.motherfucker
— Ivy ✨️ (@IvyMarieArt) March 13, 2023
It was another difficult category, with two strong women vying for the award.Bassett’s fans weren’t happy with Jamie Lee Curtis’ win, with many reigniting the nepo baby controversy on Twitter. If Bassett had won, she would have been the first Marvel actor to take such accolades home with her.
6. Paul Sorvino and Anne Heche, In Memoriam
Can anyone explain why this happens every year?Oscar for tribute segment lacks Paul Sorvino, Anne Heche, Tom Sizemore, Leslie Jordan, Charlby Dean from Oscar-nominated ‘Triangle of Sorrow’ pic.twitter.com/5eT09DGnU9
— Lydia Cornell (@LydiaCornell) March 13, 2023
John Travolta talks about his former co-star olivia newton john and longtime friend and co-star Kirsty Alley During the “Memorial” montage. However, people quickly realized that: Paul Sorvino and Anne Heche Leslie Jordan, Tony Sirico and Tom Sizemore were missing from the segment. The Academy said the entire list was available on their website, but fans were still furious with the snub.
7. Guneet Monga Speech
I seriously can’t get over how they didn’t let Guneet Monga give a speech, but every director-producer duo is giving a speech
— Rear (@riabhagwat13) March 13, 2023
Several film directors and producers were given time to talk about their winning films, but Elephant Whisperers producer Guneet Monga didn’t get the chance. The music started before she got a chance to speak.Instead she typed and pasted her own speech Instagram.
1. Jimmy Kimmel tears up the Academy with his monologue about slapping Will Smith. He even says he will stand up to protect him if he does. Kimmel also points out that those who “persuaded” audiences to “go to the theater” during Tom Cruise and James Cameron’s absence did not come to the theater themselves.
did tom cruise come # Oscar Disguised as Judd Hirsch? Jimmy Kimmel doubts it’s possible. pic.twitter.com/Za8A7cxsUU
— Good Morning America (@GMA) March 13, 2023
2. The new “champagne carpet” that replaced the original red carpet was a disaster. Jamie Lee Curtis said on Twitter, Matcher, her “drape.”
Apparently @The Academy Oscar, their carpet will match my drapes. pic.twitter.com/4hCBXnvz6H
— Jamie Lee Curtis (@jamieleecurtis) March 11, 2023
3. Angela Bassett gets a shout out from Michael B. Jordon and Jonathan Major after losing to Curtis.
Michael B. Jordan and Jonathan Majors praise Angela Bassett for best supporting actress # Oscar Lost: “Hello Auntie. We love you.” pic.twitter.com/5YwcBzWM1Q
— Variety (@Variety) March 13, 2023
4. A short time later, Jimmy Kimmel got Jenny the donkey from Inishlin’s Banshee on stage, where she was seen wearing an “emotional support” saddle. Kimmel said anyone who is upset should “hug” Jenny.
No one was thrilled to see Jenny the Donkey. # Oscar From Colin Farrell😍 pic.twitter.com/VUPVf2YLur
—MTV NEWS (@MTVNEWS) March 13, 2023
5. After Cocaine Bear won Best Visual Effects, director Elizabeth Banks brought a man in a bear suit onto the stage. He has even been seen asking others where he got his drugs from.
with Elizabeth Banks #cocainebear exist in # Oscar pic.twitter.com/1G1DcYvDiO
— The Hollywood Reporter (@THR) March 13, 2023
6. Lady Gaga, Rahul Sipligunj, Kaala Bhairava, and Rihanna stole the show with their live performances at the Oscars.
The full video of the live performance of “Naatu Naatu” can be found at # Oscar. pic.twitter.com/EcHm0yfmZA
— Let’s Cinema (@letscinema) March 13, 2023
7. Andrew Garfield is a meme again.
Andrew Garfield to be second-year Oscar meme #oscar pic.twitter.com/RKuLw1dbIa
— I’m not a werewolf (@PadaleckixSofer) March 13, 2023
Read also: Oscars 2023: Hugh Grant splits interview after ‘painful’ interview with Ashley Graham and his stage fiasco