Welcome to a special edition of Fox News’ politics newsletter. Let’s talk about the 2nd Republican presidential primary debate.
reminder: The next Republican presidential primary debate will take place tonight at 9pm ET. Sign up now to stream.
Showdown at the Reagan Library: Seven presidential candidates will take the stage Wednesday night at the Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California. Follow Fox News Live update blog Check back with us all day today for the latest debate news.
Performance test center: What does a candidate need to do to stand out from the crowd? Longtime Republican strategists David Kochel and Dave Carney share their thoughts and predictions: There is.
- Ron DeSantis “We need to broaden our appeal… [and] Please distinguish between yourself and Trump. ”
- nikki haley You can be verbally attacked by others on stage. She spiked after the first debate, but asked, “What do we do with that momentum? Is it a flash in the pan, or can we repeat that performance and get on an upward trajectory in the race?” Kochel said. Ta.
- “There will be a lot of pressure on the following people.” Tim Scott, Those who disappeared a little in the first debate to step up and do better. ”
- Mike Pence: “If I were him, I would promote Reagan conservatives in the traditional sense and take off after populism,” Kochel said.
- Vivek Ramaswamy After being a punching bag in the first debate, Carney said he now has to prove that he is the president and that no one else will take Trump’s likely successor. .
- chris christie I wanted to debate Trump, but he probably won’t be there. “My guess is he will probably throw some more haymakers at Ramaswamy. [the] “He’s the most Trump-like person on stage,” Kochel said.
- Doug BurgumThe candidates who are the least well-known on the stage and the last to qualify for the second debate will have to find a way to stand out, Carney said.
Absent: Asa Hutchinson He is the only candidate who did not qualify for the second debate after the first debate. But he is campaigning.
“I understand that [Republican National Committee] “The media is also trying to reduce the number of candidates, but I am judging success based on the response I receive in early primary states like Iowa and New Hampshire,” Hutchinson wrote this week. statement on X (formerly Twitter).
Introducing the moderators: FOX News’ Dana Perino, FOX Business’ Stuart Barney and UNIVISION’s Ilia Calderon will moderate Wednesday’s Republican debate.Perino and Varney discussed preparation for the debate on Fox News this week. …read more
Anthem preview: By day, Mary Milven was a White House staffer in the George W. Bush administration, but by night she sang at Christmas parties and White House events. Tonight, she will begin the debate by singing the national anthem minutes before it begins.
Get the latest on the 2024 campaign trail, exclusive interviews and more with Fox News Digital’s Election Hub.